I found some lovely inspiration recently when flipping back through some old magazine pages I had saved into my must keep folder – I was particularly inspired by this fabulous Passionfruit Layer Cake so I combined it with my love of pretty ribbons, tags, stationery and beautiful paper to create these inspiration boards. Please enjoy some gorgeous green images I took and the wonderful recipe that comes with this lovely looking cake.
Passionfruit layer cake
500g butter, softened
2 cups (430g) caster sugar
2tbs finely grated lemon rind
3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
1 3/4 cups (425g) sour cream
500g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup (150g) icing sugar mixture
Fresh flowers, to decorate
1/2 cup (125ml) fresh passionfruit pulp
1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Grease and line the base and side of two 22cm round cake pans with baking paper.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, caster sugar and lemon rind together until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the flour and stir to combine. Ad the lemon juice and 1 cup (235g) of the sour cream and stir until just combined.
3. Spoon the mixture evenly among the lined pans. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 min before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the passionfruit syrup, combine the passionfruit and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
5. Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and remaining sour cream together until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar and beat until well combined.
6. Use a serrated knife to split each cake in half. Place a cake layer on a serving plate. Drizzle with one-third of the passionfruit syrup. Spread with one-quarter of the cream cheese icing. Continue layering with remaining cake layers, passionfruit syrup and cream cheese icing. Decorate the top with fresh flowers.
Receipe courtesy of Notebook Magazine